Friday, May 13, 2016

May Parishioner Highlight of the Month: Counsel the Doubtful


I'm not going to lie, this month stumped us. When thinking of Counsel the Doubtful as a staff and even in my individual prayer time, there did not seem to be an obvious path which to take in explaining this Spiritual Work of Mercy. There are many facets to Counsel the Doubtful including aiding those who are in doubt of their faith, helping those who are depressed or suffer mental illness, and even just giving advice from one friend to another in fearful life moments. Finding a person to interview seem like a dauntless task, but as always, God provides.

This month I had the honor of interviewing Cyndi Schmidt, a 37 year veteran in the field of nursing.  Cyndi specifically has experience in hospice nursing and when I asked people who I should interview for Counsel the Doubtful, her name came up time and time again.  After listening to her stories I see how God has given her the gifts needed to truly live out this Spiritual Work of Mercy.

As you hear in the video, Cyndi was called from a young age to be a nurse.  Her father's affirmation exposed a desire in her that God most likely planted from the beginning.   Being in the medical field takes a lot of courage on so many levels and when talking with Cyndi you see that she has the gumption needed to provide quality medical care. And after listening to Cyndi you know she takes care of the whole person, body, mind, and soul, especially as she prepares people and family for death.  After we finished the interview, Cyndi and I talked about the challenges and joys of hospice care.  She said that many people focus on the dying aspect of hospice, but in her experience, end of life care is all about living.  Cyndi reminds families of that and in that, turns doubt into hope.

As I reflect on my daily life I wonder how often someone has tried to speak to me about their fears and doubts.  Am I open to that? Do I give hope? As I move forward, as you move forward, lets be open to spreading hope.  As Christians this hope comes from the love our Lord, Jesus Christ has for us.

God bless,
Emily Schmid
SPX Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment