Friday, August 19, 2016

August Parishioner Highlight: Mary, Mother of Mercy


For the theme of Mary, Mother of Mercy, I knew I wanted to interview children.  I thought that since, as Catholics, we view Mary is our mother, that looking at Mary through the eyes of children would give us a fresh perspective.  But how would I be able to get a child-like perspective, in the middle of the summer when many children are out of town or busy with summer activities? Enter, the Tallman family.  A family I have had the privilege to become friends with during my 2 years at St. Pius, Joe through his work at school, Jen through various adult faith opportunities, and the children as an extension of their parents. I was honored to provide music at the funeral of their child Kolbe Claire and to hear Joe's witness of how God, and Mary, comforted them during that trial in their life.  That honor was extended as they graciously shared their home and thoughts with me.

I was welcomed to the Tallman home for this video and quickly became one of the family.  I was offered a uncooked noodle to chew on as dinner was being prepared and my choice of seating at the table. During the evening I witnessed a beautiful example of the domestic church.  I saw two parents teaching their children, in small ways, how to be examples of God's love in the world. Through helping each other spoon food onto their plates, snuggling on the couch before bed time, and stepping outside to wave their guest good-bye I saw simple and concrete ways a family learns to love not just each other, but the world.  Their joy was infectious and I left wanting to share that warmth with everyone I encountered. For though my encounter with Tallmans, I encountered Christ.

Thank you Tallmans for you hospitality and for sharing your testimony with us. This family provides an excellent witness to how Mary leads us to the love and mercy of Christ.

Guest blogger
Emily Schmid
SPX Staff


No comments:

Post a Comment