Friday, July 1, 2016

Give Drink to the Thirsty



Summer time is an ideal time to ponder this Work of Mercy.  As I pause to consider the thirsty a myriad of images come to my mind.  I picture highway workers out in the brutal sun; farmers checking the fields and crops; our own gardens drooping.  I see our lawns turning brown from the heat, the earth beneath our feet cracking from lack of moisture.  I am mindful of commuters waiting on public transportation at the end of a grueling day at work.  I think of our more senior members who may not be drinking enough water to stay hydrated in the humid condition that is Iowa in the summertime. 

Giving drink to the thirsty involves a conscious choice on my part to savor the gift of water.  I must be mindful of how my use of this precious gift impacts other people.  It may not seem like a big deal, but when I contemplate the number of people in our own country and around the world that lack adequate water for drinking, cooking and bathing, my heart aches.  

Those who were in Des Moines in 1993 will remember well the flood that shut down the Metro area for a while.  The devastation of an overabundance of water left the region lacking potable water for a good many days.  People were dependent on water shipped into the area until the water system was restored.  Rationing was not uncommon.  

So, how do I give drink to the thirsty?  I choose to limit shower time so that I am not using more than I need.  I wet my tooth brush, shut off the water, brush my teeth, and then rinse quickly.  When doing the dishes, I quickly rinse and run the dish washer once a week.  Doing laundry, I use high efficiency soap to reduce suds, and run full loads, not just an item or two.  

These may seem like commonsensical conservation measures; and perhaps they don’t seem like they would make that much difference…I am not directly taking water to someone who is without a refreshing drink, but then, again maybe I am… Ask someone who has never had running water, and I bet they are a big deal…ask those whose water is unsafe, and I am sure they would be glad that someone was thinking about their need.
And now, how are you going to give drink to the thirsty?...

Guest blogger: Dr. Cheryl J. Fournier

No comments:

Post a Comment